Friday, October 30, 2009

Lesson 7: Keep your keys on you

In Spain, front doors lock automatically. So you always need to check to make sure you have your keys on you before you leave. Apparently that goes the same for casa rural rooms (See: Not your typical wedding weekend), as my roommate found out on my behalf. You wouldn't have thought they would lock automatically just by looking at them, they were large wooden doors that must have been on loan from a nearby castle, but late Saturday night I found myself trying to break into one (sans battering ram).

After arriving back from Disco Escandalo (Scandalous) in Mejorada, everyone but Sara and I went to bed. I told my roommate (Sara´s Cousin´s boyfriend) to leave the door open so that I could get in later. He didn´t realize that the door literally needed to be open, and after an hour of talking, I returned to my room to find the door shut and locked. I, of course, didn´t have the key on me, so I began knocking quietly. My door was the last door at the end of an expansive hall with high ceilings and six rooms of these heavy wooden doors. It was after 4 am in the middle of nowhere, so the slightest tap sounded like a dictionary being dropped from a 10 foot ledge onto the stone floor. However, it only reverberated around the halls, he couldn't hear anything inside.

I stopped knocking, the last thing I needed was all of Sara's family to wake up to find the two of us standing in the dark hall in the middle of the night. So I suggested we go outside and tap on my room window, because his bed was closest to it and it wouldn't make as much noise. We slipped out into the back where it would have been pitch black if not for the moon and millions of stars. It was cold and quiet and we had almost made it to my window when we heard a giant dog barking nearby. Sara reminded me that the owners told us they had two mastiffs on the property that were there to keep strangers away. Sara was worried that they weren't locked up, and as positive as I was that they were, I didn't want to be proven wrong. So we high-tailed it back to the safety of the house.

Inside, we decided the only way to get inside was with the spare key from behind the Romanians' desk. I was apprehensive at first, and was even debating sleeping on the small couch in the den, but I didn't think finding me passed out on a sofa would make the best impression, at least not the first weekend. Unfortunately the desk was in the lobby, just in front of the Romanians' room. So if we made too much noise we could wake them up, and who knows what they would do to two people snooping around their desk where all the keys and money are kept. I had my thoughts but I kept them to myself.

We checked all the drawers and boxes around the desk and proceeded to hunt through their dresser behind the desk. I found a set of keys in the cupboard of the dresser and ran down the hall to see if they would finally grant me access to my room. They did. We were able to go to bed without waking up Sara's family, or being killed by giant dogs or crazy Romanians.

No comments:

Post a Comment