Monday, October 19, 2009

Lesson 6: Make your own decisions... in bars

After just meeting Sara's Mom's side of the family for the first time, I was swept up and taken to a bar in Talavera to have a celebratory drink. Everyone was asking me what I wanted to order but I had no idea. It was a tough decision. This drink order would be the first impression that her family would have of me, so I couldn't mess it up. If I went with a familiar beer, it would probably be American and they'd think I'm some patriotic American who only drinks American beers. If I picked one of the hundred off the wall I might choose a bad beer, or worst, a beer that associates me with something bad.

My safest bet was to ask the barman for his favorite drink. He obviously knows more about beers than myself, and that was how I commonly ordered back in the States. -Spain is different. While everyone else was given pint glasses, I was handed an hour glass-shaped glass with a wooden handle. I had never seen anything like it in my life! Of course, the entire family is watching me at this point, judging me with their eyes. "Oh, he's the American who thinks he's better than everyone and orders the most expensive beer in the bar." -Grand. I tried to sneak behind a column to hide my goblet and my embarrassment. Both showed noticeably.

No comments:

Post a Comment