Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lesson 5: Watch your step

Wherever I go I pay special attention to where I step. Not because the pavement is lined in special tiles only found in the Basque Country, or because there are many hills and uneven sidewalks. No, because you must always be cognizant of dog crap.

There are dogs EVERYWHERE. Everyone seems to own a dog or two (I even witnessed a dog walking another dog- I swear to you I did.) and takes them just about everywhere: to the bank, the shops, even to restaurants. Dogs are free to wander the city and many aren't even accompanied with a leash. So of course it is no surprise for me to tell you that there are a few casualties.

You can always find a dog "mine." Don't get me wrong, the streets are cleaned multiple times a day, but you have to be on the look out. The one time you turn your head may be your last... Though people will try to tell you it's good luck. Bull (dog) shit. They just want you to feel better about having just ruined your shoes... again. (Un)Luckily for me, I've stayed clear of them, but we all know it's only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment