Friday, March 19, 2010

Basque-it case



You already know that basque people are just a little bit different, but you couldn't tell they were Basque just by looking at them.


There's a couple ways you can tell you're in Euskadi:
1. Look for British flags that are green, red, and white.
2. You hear people saying "Aupa!" Which is actually Greek, but it is still used around these parts to mean "Hello", "Go", "Get out of my way", "Cheers", and about anything else the speaker wants it to mean.
3. You see men wearing black saucer hats.


Now these hats, called Txapelas, are similar to berets but they are flatter and rounder. They are traditional in Euskadi, making men look like Renaissance painters. However, I believe there is some sort of age limit on wearing one, because I haven't seen it on anyone under 75 years old. But I'm about to change that. ¡AUPA! I'm going to make Txapelas cool to kids. I just don't know how to wear it yet...


No comments:

Post a Comment